Brian Jones,R.I.P. Trelewis school caretaker and Ex-Servicemen’s steward

Brian Jones one of the best stewards the club ever had, wrote his memoirs of his time as the steward, his wife Mary, affectionately known as Mary Irish, was always at his side and so many remember her from our time at Taff Merthyr where she worked running the pit canteen.

It is a fascinating and interesting read. It is humorous and factual and tells the tale of his seven eventful years as club steward…Brian Jones later became caretaker of Trelewis School and following his retirement he moved to in Bedlinog. Unfortunately no longer with us, his story will be one he will be happy for you all to enjoy , he will be remembered with fondness, may he rest in peace


1.              Characters and my first days as Steward

2.              The Ships Boiler

3.              Shift workers

4.              Delivery problems

5.              TV Addicts

6.              Barry trip and Market day

7.              The Brewery trip

8.              Saturday night and Sunday morning

9.              Walter the strongman and salad days

10.           Conclusion

Chapter one 

Characters and my first days as Steward 

I Started as steward of the Ex Servicemen’s club in 1965, one thing was obvious from the start…the place was bubbling over with characters.

The building was unique, It was one of the “sinkers” huts from Taff Merthyr colliery; just one long hut which consisted of a bottle store, a snooker room, the bar area and the concert room. There was one other room of course, the infamous “committee room” where the elite sat in judgement every week. Sometimes they met for a special meeting, where they passed judgement on some over exuberant members who had over indulged and under estimated the “lethal” mix of Old English and Scrumpy.

After much deliberation the chairman would don his black cap and announce “Mr.? You are banned from entering the club for”…well this could anything from one week to six months, depending on the seriousness of the offence. The member then became a “Bont “or “Ffald” drinker until he was allowed back into the club.

The club had many nicknames bestowed on it over the years including “the bucket of Blood” and “Cled’s shed” but it always the “club” to me; there was never a dull moment, no two days were ever the same.

The day usually began at Eleven thirty in the morning, but with cleaning and stocking of the bar, it started a lot earlier. Of course, in the winter, when heating was needed (that is another chapter) as mentioned “character” was the backbone of the club.

There were so many moments, not even a scriptwriter could have made them up.

“Wobby”, “Nazi”,” Stumpy”, “Big Colin”, “Big Bill, the bookie”, “Elwyn, lovely boy Hughes”…”Ninnis and Moody” sounds like a comedy double act! They certainly were! The list could go on and on, we will read more about them in future chapters.


Elwyn lovely boy Hughes pic above left

Chapter 2

The “Ship’s boiler” 

The “Ship’s boiler”, a monstrosity of a thing, that belched smoke and fumes. This boiler had a mind of its own, although it looked big enough to fire the QE 2; it hardly ever produced any heat!

One memory that comes to mind is the Saturday in mid winter that I left the club to attend the Wales match at the Cardiff Arms Park. My Wife Mary had been left in charge, and had been told to stoke up the boiler before leaving; and boy did she stoke up that boiler!

On my return from Cardiff, I made my way across the car park to open up for the evening, as I approached the front door; I became aware of the banging and clanging.

“Burglar” I thought, on opening the door, I was met by four radiators nearly bouncing off the walls. Making my way to the boiler house and quickly glancing at the temperature gauge, there was a head of steam and the needle was almost off the clock! With that amount of steam, we could have broken the record for the crossing to New York.

By now, some of the early drinkers had arrived, commenting on how nice and warm the bar was on this cold evening. Two of them, both stalwart committee men, settled down for their game of dominoes in their seats next to the bar. About five minutes passed, when the water tank, which was sited on the beam, directly in line with the unsuspecting domino players, finally, after much rumbling and bubbling, started overflowing and cascaded down on to the floor below.

Gallons of hot water cascaded down and caused the two committee men to pause briefly, size up the situation, whilst tucking their feet up under the table, they were heard to comment, “blocked game, shuffle them up” It proved that true Ex Servicemen stay cool under pressure! Little Frankie and Jack Navi were not bothered about a drop of water, the game must go on!

As the evening went on and things got back to normal, it was discovered that the “local fitter” (BG) had knocked off the pump to build up a head of steam: if only he had remembered to put it back on.

The old boiler had been used as a cooker on many occasions; Kippers, chops and bacon had all been cooked on the end of the old coal shovel. Saucepans of broth have simmered; toast and even the odd Hedgehog had been roasted and toasted. Yes the old boiler has had many uses but not as a central heating system.

It was eventually replaced thanks to the generosity of the members and their donations towards a new “Trianco” boiler, which meant for the first time in ages, members could sit and enjoy their drinks without having to keep their hats and coats on!

Chapter 3

The Shift Workers 

The club being situated in a mining village consisted in a high percentage of the members being miners. Shift workers therefore played a big part in the way the club trade evolved. Day shift workers would call in after their days work, fresh from their shower at the pit head baths, they would call in for a couple of pints to damp the dust from their throats, then home for dinner, a well earned nap, then most would return for the evening for a couple more pints and a bit of banter with their mates.

The Afternoon shift would call in before their shift, not for a drink, but to brose through the daily papers. After their shift it was a quick dash across the “gantry” to catch one or two before closing time. Week nights varied with Monday being Snooker night, Wednesday was Choir practice, and of course Friday was the big one “Darts night”!

One of the main pastimes at the club was talking about work; I swear clouds of dust used to rise from some tables! As the week moved on and the weekend approached, the atmosphere changed, by Friday, the start of the weekend, there was a distinct “buzz” in the air.

“Darts Night”, the club always had  good darts teams, the rivalry was intense, even amongst the club sides, there was always two teams and sometimes three Darts teams representing the club. After the games were over the teams were treated to the traditional “Cheese and pickles” served with bread.

With the departure of the visiting side, the others settled down to enjoy themselves and it wouldn’t be too long before the singing began!


It would start with one, then two, and then the whole of the bar would be ringing with song. “Time gentlemen please” would be called and the songsters would depart, briefly stopping under the subway to give a final rendering. I have always regarded the subway as a giant echo chamber which could change a modest singer into a “Frank Sinatra “in minutes.

Tell me, is there anyone who hasn’t heard of our “subway singers”? It was pure harmony, under the conductor-ship of Mr Paul Jenkins, and who can ever forget the accompanist Trevor Coles?

Never a note out of place!

The Ex club behind the rail accident, notice no extension yet added

Chapter 4 

Delivery problems

With the Subway at one end and the low bridge at the other, the approach to the club was never easy. Two stories come to mind involving the delivery Lorries.

The first involving a “Watneys” lorry, coming to the club for the first time. It was one of those high sided green vans, from the 1960’s. He drove through the low bridge to make his delivery, the trouble was that after he unloaded his van it went up on its spring and there was no way the van could get back out through the bridge. The driver came back into the club and telephoned the Brewery.


Then, with some skilful financial negotiations “two pints a man” that will do nicely!

The driver, along with six hefty members, jumps in the van, down go the springs and problem solved…what a way to earn two pints.

The other instance involves the “club tanker”

The Tanker could only get half way under the low bridge, plastic pipes were then fitted to the tanker, and some thirty yards of tubing took the beer into the tank in the cellar! Once the pipes were fitted and the beer was flowing, there was no stopping for about fifteen minutes.

On one particular day, everything was connected up and Alec, the tanker driver, was in the bar doing the paperwork; the bar doors burst open , like in a “John Wayne western” and this huge man burst in demanding in a high pitched scream “Move that tanker!” Alec, the tanker driver, calmly looked at his watch and replied “another ten minutes pal!”

The huge man, even more exasperated, replied in a scream “Do you know who I am?”

“I AM THE MANAGER OF THE COLLIERY!” To which Alec calmly replied “I am not looking for a job, the tanker stays” and stay it did.

The huge gentleman, who by now had turned a lovely pinky/red, whilst doing a fine demonstration of “river dance” that Michael Flatterly would have been proud of.


The road from Bontnewydd Terrace to the subway in winter time, would have presented “Torville and Dean” a problem. It used to be just one complete sheet of ice, from top to bottom. It was amazing, the sight of members clinging to the sides. However, with some tricky foot work, slowly by surely, they made it down to the safety of the subway.


Camp base one had been reached, now the club is in sight, one final effort, the trudge across the car park. A quick stamp of the boots and into the warmth of the club, to be greeted by the earlier arrivals with “You must be mad coming out on a night like this”

Don’t ask me how, but a few hours later, time to retrace their steps. Same Snow and Ice, but this time without a thought of the conditions, they would stride up the hill, no bother; it must have been the alcohol heating their boots that won them the battle of the subway!


Bridge leading to Ex Servicemen’s club, now demolished

Chapter five 

T.V. addicts 

The Television room, sited at the top end of the club, has many a tale to tell. In the early days of the television at the club, because of the bad reception area, there was hardly ever a picture. Rediffusion, the TV suppliers of that time, were contacted to bring a cable across or under the railway line, British rail wouldn’t allow it.

A telegraph pole was acquired and erected; an aerial was fitted on top, still no better, then amazingly by accident, whilst fiddling with the aerial, the wires dropped down on the wire fence surrounding the club, “Hey Presto”, a perfect picture!

International day at the club was amazing, early on the Saturday morning, seats were arranged for maximum capacity for the match, Members first policy and the room was full by noon.

One day Wales were playing in France and there was no planned Television coverage. We were all huddled around a transistor radio listening to that match when suddenly through the wooden open TV room doors, red jerseys appeared on screen, they had decided to televise the second half; suddenly I was on my own with the radio, they closed the door, and after all my pleading refused to open the door!


Drastic steps were called for, the fuse box was located and the fuse for the television was removed, very quickly, I was rejoined by the lads, anxious not to miss the match. After a quick explanation as to why the television had suddenly gone blank, some swift negotiations, the fuse replaced and we all lived happily ever after!

Another night and the “jokers” Moody and Ninnis, decided to play a trick on Big Colin. Colin, who used to suffer occasionally with his hearing, left the TV room to re fill his pint, unknown to Colin, the sound was turned off, and one of the funniest shows on TV was on at the time , Colin returned from the bar to find Moody and NINNIS rolling about with laughter, without any sounds from their mouths, Colin proceeded to try to clean out his ears with his fingers, “It’s time I had my ears done” says Colin. When Colin left the room sound was turned back up and poor Colin thought some miracle had happened.

New Years eve, a private party was held in the TV room, they provide their own buffet and really welcomed the year in

Happy New Year!!!!!

Chapter six 

Barry trip and Mart day 

The annual “Barry Island” trip was another highlight of the club year. Sunday was always the day for the outings. Bus or train, rain or shine, they always turned out in their droves.

I swear there was children from everywhere as they lined up for their “half crown” , later on it became five shillings, they boarded the bus and left.

“I can see the sea” the shouts would go up from the buses as they approached Barry Island, what a day they would have!

Off the bus, under the bridge, to the “black and white” cafe, NO EATING YOUR OWN FOOD, the notice says.

“Two teas, and two pops please” , mam would tell the man behind the counter

“No food?” he would enquire

“No thank you” mam would reply

Back to the table, hands under the tables and sandwiches would appear as if by magic, then some biscuits.

“Don’t let the man behind the counter see you chewing” she would say

We would take our cups back, “thank you” our mam would tell the cafe owner

“See you next year”

Back in the deserted club, deserted that is, apart from the twenty stalwarts.

The trip that Sunday was the day after a wedding had been held at the club, there was quite a feast left over, cold meats, salads and potatoes, trifles and biscuits. We decided to hold our own party whilst the others were in Barry Island, we laid out the tables and the party went on through out the Afternoon.

Needless to say, by the time the busses returned with the trippers, they were amazed to enter the bar to the sound of singing and laughter; no, we didn’t miss the Barry trip, someone had to stay, didn’t they?

Moving on to the Monday at the club, which for many years was known as “Mart day” , it was the day that farmers from miles around, gathered at Nelson for the cattle market, a special day where the licensing laws allowed the pubs to remain open all day, so it meant that other villagers would make their way to Nelson after 3.30 pm (closing time) , to take advantage of the extra hours.


Mart day was the day that seemed to cause more absenteeism from work, especially Monday afternoon shift. Monday, the club was always that bit fuller always that bit more exciting.

“One o’clock, what are we going to do?”

“Let’s book a rest day””


“Two more pints please”

On one such Monday, a local character, Id Kinsey, arrived at the club, we had invited him some time ago, and finally here he is.

We had promised him a good afternoon and we were going to make sure it was. Preparations had been made and the feast had been made ready.

The main course was a Pig’s head, roasted to perfection; this was presented on a silver platter, carefully surrounded by cut up “French stick” and pickles, to be washed down with a flagon of cider.

On arrival Idris was sat down at his table, a napkin placed under his chin, the pigs head was set down in front of him


His teeth were removed and placed in his “hankie” and he methodically proceeded to devour the pigs head. About an Hour and a couple of flagons later the meat free skull of the head was removed. Id’s compliments included one

“That’s the finest meal I have ever had” another satisfied customer! He then , being a member of Treharris male voice choir, burst into song, before joining the others on the bus to Nelson to wash down the meal.

Salty stuff those Pigs heads.

Chapter seven 

The Brewery Rep 

The Brewery rep called regularly at the club, the way news travelled from club to club was amazing. His progress was relayed.

“He’s in the Daggers now”

“He’s in the Dog and Rabbit”

“He’s the Bulmer’s rep”

“It’s Colin, the Coates’ rep”

The members were always so well informed, they knew where they were, and they knew who they were. The rep could never understand how the whole bar was drinking his product when he arrived, that meant him buying a pint for everyone!

“Didn’t I just buy you a pint in the Dog?”

“Who me Sir?” replied Ken, “I don’t think so”, quickly shoving his gloves and helmet under the table after breaking the land speed record from the Dog and Rabbit to the Trelewis Ex-Serviceman’s club.

The poor reps never stood a chance!

There was one, a Bulmer’s rep, He would tap on the window on the side door and ask how many Bulmer’s drinkers were in the bar, any more than three and he was gone, faster than the speed of light!

Now and again a bus load of members and the “committee men” were invited to a sampling visit to the Brewery; the Breweries at the time were located-

Club’s brewery Pontyclun

Hancocks in Cardiff

Rhymney and Cresswell

The Bulmer’s cider train, several train carriages in Canton where you could sample some Bulmer’s products.

Coates and Gaymers, Nailsea.

Special mention must be made of one rep…Colin Jones, Coates cider rep.

He knew the members by first names, he would call and ask “Where’s Jack” or “Is Mostyn afternoons?” He would leave a flagon over the bar for them; he always had something for us! Even got us tickets for the “Panto” for the children…he was a true rep.

Chapter eight 

Saturday Night and Sunday mornings 

Saturday night was special at the “club”. The bar boys went out traipsing from pub to pub in Treharris to return to the club by  about nine o’clock, for a good old fashioned “sing-song”

The “concert room”, on Saturday night was normally used for bingo and a “go as you please”. Special nights brought in some top entertainment, Show bands, concert parties and believe it or not, Tom Jones, yes THE Tom Jones, he appeared as the little know Tommy Scot and the Senators.

The go as you please concerts were crammed full of “talent”, always the same and same songs, two pints for the males and a drop of short for the lady singer. More often than not, the opening act would be the “Stormtown crooner” Nazi, with his only song, “til stars forget to shine”, this was followed by “John Brown’s riding on top of the tram2 , then came Percy and Dai Joseph with “the ghost that played the violin” , then a monologue from the chairman, Charlie Jones. This was followed by Mrs Jackson’s “lovely Russian rose” , followed by husband Jim’s “the kids last fight”; then to round the nights entertainment off, Mr Walter Webs’ fourteen verses of “Kathleen”!

All these singers were accompanied by such pianists as Bert Bevan, Dai Brahms, and Ken Williams, they certainly could tinkle the ivories, if you could sing it, and they could play it!

Whilst this was going on in the concert room, the bar would be ringing out to Ivor Moody’s choir singing “master this tempest” and “grandfather clock” amongst others. Truly a memorable sound!

Sunday morning dawns, Relaxation time, a gentle game of darts, a few hands of cards before the big game at one o’clock.

One Sunday morning, we had a visitor to the club “Major Bob”, who was a real life army officer, visiting the club with his brother in law Viv. The Major would have his half pint of beer and keep himself to his self. On this one Sunday, as the clock came up to one o’ clock, he became interested in the goings on at the top of the bar.

“What’s going on up there?” he enquired, as about a dozen men were getting very excited about something.

“What’s happened” he said, “What are they shouting about?”

“Oh” I said “that will be the Snakes and ladders final”

“What?” he said in amazement

“Snakes and ladders, grown men playing Snakes and ladders, what’s the world coming too?”

About four glasses of beer later, who was in the middle of the crowd shouting “six, I am up the ladder!” yes, you have guessed it “Major Bob”

Such was the charm and warmth of the members to visitors, no one would be alone for too long in the Ex servicemen’s. When the Scottish miners were transferred down to our collieries, many took up membership. I recall Friday’s being pay day, “cash in envelopes” day being one of the busiest mornings.

Wives waiting for their men folk, a few drinks, a bit of banter, sometimes meant the afternoon shift being a few men short.

Chapter nine 

Walter the strong man and salad days 

Another character to frequent the club was a Quakers Yard man called Jack, lovingly nicknamed “fingers” or “old crow”. He was an amazing man, who had been captured during world war two and tortured by the Japanese. Wednesdays being war pension day would see Jack in Pontypridd market, he would be back by eleven thirty, opening time, laden down with bread, Boiled ham, tripe, faggots, for the boys in the bar to feast upon and he always had some toy or sweets for my son, who was able to play dominoes at a very young age, thanks to the coaching of “uncle Jack”

Jack was a member who attended the club two sittings every day of the week, going home to Quakers Yard at four o’clock and back by six, because we really cared about him we tried to curb his drinking. We got him a half pint Guinness glass, if you have never seen one; it is a dainty, refined glass. We would fill his glass and before leaving the bar he would take a sip to avoid spillage, his next obstacle, the television room, would warrant another sip. Into the television room, sit down and another sip, yes you guessed it, EMPTY AGAIN! The glass was quickly disposed of, as Jack was drinking more than ever!

Walter the strong man” was a classic set up, engineered by the fun loving “bar boys”, this is what happened one afternoon after the day shift.

A group of members, which included Big Colin were sitting by the open window, looking up towards the railway line, Webby had his usual two pints and bade farewell to the boys in the bar, on the way up the banking, in full view of the open window, he was seen to be lifting a railway sleeper up, down, up, down.

Colin made a comment on how strong Webby was for a small man, egged on by the others Big Colin was urged to give it a go. Taking up his position, neck muscles straining, eyes bulging, he barely managed to clear the ground. Colin returned to the bar, quite upset and remarked once again on how strong Webby was.

Glancing back up to the window and as if to rub salt in the wounds, Webby was at it again, up down, up down, almost lifting the sleeper up to his mid drift.

Webby finally departed, and his two helpers, who were hiding in the bushes either side of the sleeper, made their way back to the club, hiding their secret and joining Colin and friends, to listen to Webby’s feat of strength, related by the still shocked and amazed Colin.

Another “stalwart” character was Ken Ninnis. On a hot summers day here comes Ken, army over coat, hat and scarf, gauntlets. His first comment “bit of a nip in the air today boys”

Of course when winter sets in, he would arrive in a vest, no hat , no scarf and the comment this time would be “ How close it was”

He was well known for his sandwiches and roasted meat, “salted beef and lettuce” he would announce, “get stuck in” After the last one had been devoured, he would proudly ask” Did you enjoy the dandelion and hedgehog boys?”

Chapter ten 

The Conclusion 

Looking back fondly on my days at the club, it was a lovely chapter in my life. Ups and downs, certainly, good times and bad time, yes of course.

Who could ever forget Twenty first of October nineteen sixty six? One word, Aberfan, I will never forget the men returning from the disaster site. Grown men, hard men, men who had witnessed death on a large scale, in World War two, to see them unashamedly weeping, will live with me forever.

Fortunately, there were also so many happy times that you could write three books and still not tell it all. Christmases, New Years, weddings, so many occasions, so many happy days

Another thing I will always remember is the “spirit” of the members. When faced with closure, they rallied around and repairing, paining and donating monies.

I remember one night when they manned the cement mixers and dumper trucks and worked through the night to lay a new concrete floor in the bar! That is dedication for you.

The purchase of the new “Trianco” boiler prolonged the life of the club for many years. Then the tragic fire which finally, after some sixty odd years, closed the doors for all time.

I firmly believe that the club would be open today, with the spirit of the above mentioned members, I am sure this important part of village life would have survived, as it is part of the village died in the flames..Trelewis will never be quite the same again.

Brian Jones

The “Legion” always had a dedicated membership who would collect every year for the poppy appeal and one former resident of the village Charlene Cusack sent me this “My mother Sandra cusack and nan Phyllis mantle were both members of the ladies section for years and I remember selling poppies and going to various services with them” with a photo of her mum who sadly passed away, her birthday would have been November 30th


Trelewis Ex Servicemen’s club  and the British Legion

The British Legion was founded in 1921 as a voice for the ex-Service community as a merger of four organizations: the Comrades of the Great War, the National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers, the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilized Sailors and Soldiers and the Officers’ Association. It was granted a Royal Charter on 29 May 1971 to mark its fiftieth anniversary which gives the Legion the privilege of the prefix ‘Royal’.

The six villages of the Treharris District were heavily involved the First World War effort and each village suffered losses. The people made huge sacrifices and were always eager to remember those that lost their lives and to help the families who suffered the losses.

Public subscriptions helped pay for War memorials at Nelson, Trelewis and Bedlinog, the people of Edwardsville and Quakers Yard has a war memorial at Treharris Library. There were also British legion clubs started in the early 1920’s. Bedlinog, Treharris and Nelson all had British legion clubs but we will concentrate on the Trelewis Ex Servicemen’s club in this article.

It is thought that an organized group set up in the village to form a branch of the British legion, this group raised monies for the memorial to be built on Captains Hill in 1925. They also raised funds to give to families who had lost loved ones in the war.

They decided to open an Ex Servicemen’s club in a gap between the railway sidings near to Brynffynon House. The building that was to be used for the club was in fact, an old colliery sinkers shed, left over by the men who had sunk Taff Merthyr Colliery in 1923-24 and it had to be brought to the site. The new club was to be named Trelewis Ex-Servicemen’s club.

The small club remained unchanged for many years and served the community well, by the time the Second World War had started, the Trelewis Ex servicemen’s club was well established.

(Thanks to Brian Jones, a former steward of the club, we were lucky to get hold of a committee minute book for the years 1939 to 1942)

Some extracts from the minutes of the club 1939-42)

Meeting 11 December 1939

Members present were-

WH Richards, Sam Jayne, JH Evans, C Davies, WH Pickon, GW Powell, IJ Edmunds

Chairman Dai Hughes

Secretary Ivor Lewis

Total bar takings for week were £32.5.8d

Benevolent box                              £0.1.1d

Fees                                                         9d

Total                                                 £32-7-6d

Bills to be paid that month

Cresswell Brewery £100-15-11d

Josh Harris (crisps and Tobacco) £7-9-6d

Ivor Lewis (secretary) £13 which was six months wages

Mrs. Alice Bishop Stewardess £3-5-0d weekly wage

Fee to librarian Mr. Bishop £1 for 6 months

Christmas checks for members in 1939 were as follows

12 checks per member (value 6 shillings) for Christmas

3 checks per member (value 1/6d) for New Year

Extra 2/6d was to be gifted to members who had been unemployed for 4 weeks or more.

In July 1940, the club decided to purchase steel barrels to hold water in case of fire in air raids.

The secretary reported that the club had received donations of £1-16s from the nursing division and a further 15 shillings from the Hospital committee for use of club rooms.

A cost of £10 was quoted to recover and adjust the billiard table.

The stewardess, Mrs. Bishop’s contract expired and was taken over by Lewis Williams, who deposited a Bond of £50.The deficiency of £5 was deducted from Mrs. Bishops bond refund and after interest was added she received £45-3-9d.

Heated discussions over the use of the Billiard table were taken place in 1940 and it was finally decided that all pool games had to cease and also that members would have preference of the table but visitors would be allowed to play. Costs to play were 6d for billiards and 3d per cue for snooker.

In 1940, The club donated £2 and 2 shillings to the spitfire fund and  also purchased a new radio for the club from Bakers of London  at a cost £9-19-6d

The minutes recorded that the wife of one of the members, Mr. W Hughes, had received news of the death of her husband in an air raid in the Midlands; it was moved by the committee to grant the widow £2.

Another resolution passed was to give 5 shillings to members who returned from active service, this payment would be made twice a year.

A payment of £3 had to be paid for the acquisition of 3 stirrup pumps and 6 buckets from Gelligaer Urban District Council.

Income of £6.17.6 was received from the Home guard for use of a room at the club complete with heating and lighting.

During July 1941, there was found to be a deficiency of £ and the steward could not give a proper explanation, Mr. W Bundy, club Chairman, reported that the steward must re pay this sum of money.

The steward, Mr. Lewis Williams, passed away that summer and the committee agreed to pay back his bond of £50, less the deficiency still owed to the club.£45 was paid back plus interest in total, after £5 had been  deducted for shortage in  stock and bar receipts.

August 1941 and a new steward took over the club, Mr. W. A. Beynon, the committee agreed to increase the steward wages by 5 shillings a week, the new wage would be  £3.and 15 shillings a week.

Later that year the committee decided to pay the widow of the deceased steward Mr. Williams £5, which had previously been deducted from the bond, this was due to exceptional circumstances.

A new telephone had to be installed in the club in 1942.It was decided that half the costs and half the rental had to be paid for by the home guard, who were also going to be responsible for paying for all their own calls.

So hopefully the snippets above give you some insight into things that were happening at the British legion during the war.

After the war the club was very strong and membership was good, a lounge was added to the building and in the seventies a large concert hall was added. The club was starting to look and feel run down by the early eighties and tragedy struck when the club burned down in the mid eighties. It was hoped to salvage it but a further fire finally put pay to that idea.


There were calls to build a new club and also talk of moving into the old school in the village but nothing materialized and the club was lost forever.

Some of the stewards that run and managed the club for the committee and membership include

1939 Alice Bishop

1940 Lewis Williams

1941 W.A. Beynon

Mr. Alf and Mrs. Alma Davies

1954 Mr. Con Williams

Mr. Sid Howells

1964-71 Mr. Brian Jones

Mr. Basil Morgan

Mr. W. Murray

1984 Dai Francis

Bill Murray

Mr John Williams

Mr. Brain Prosser

Mr. Michael Jones

Mr. Vince Price


Mr. Johnny and Florrie Nolan


Trelewis Ex Servicemens’ club 1949 dummy club?

Left to right

Ken James, Phil Jenkins, Will Gloucester (Standing) Ken Carmichael, Cled Johnson, Llew Phillips, Billy Rowlands


Bar boys at the Trelewis ex-club

Left to right

Bill Jones( Polarguy, the bookie), W. Jenkins (Binky) Phil Jenkins(standing) Eric Johnson, Syd Howells(Ex Steward) Lewis Williams, Ken James, Cled Johnson, Chamsy Matthews, Jack Lewis, Islwyn Carlick.(sitting behind everyone)


  Ex servicemen’s club , Trelewis

Left to right

Tom Jones, Will Edmunds, Islwyn Carlick, Jack Lewis, Cled Johnson, Brian Jones (standing)


Viv Jones, Brian Jones and Crad Belton enjoying a laugh down the “club”


Trelewis Ex-Servicemen’s club Scotland Trip 1960’s


The bus about to leave for another “Scotland trip..mid sixties


Three youngsters at the Ex Club February 1882, Sian, Shirley and Brian.


Brian Jones and friends in the Ex Club concert hall

Below are a few photographs that my sister had saved for me and kindly donated them for use on this site


Denise Pope, Alison Jones and Violet Jones Trelewis girls 1979


Some Trelewis boys again from 1979 David Morgan(Skylab) Martin Jones and Andrew Williams(Tich)


Looks like a children’s day at the Trelewis club


Jeff Gunning and some friends during a rugby wekend at the club


Jeff and Mike Guuning Ron Evans, John Bufton and friends in the bar at the club


Dai Cameron Bill Murray, Terry Holton Geoff gunning a young Colin Price and Brian Davies


RJ Ron Evans and son, Geoff Gunning, Barry Rees


Another great night out at the Ex Club


Girls night out


Saturday night and showtime at the Ex Club.

How it all ended when a fire destroyed the club approx 1990


Michael the Milk observing the damage


Snooker room


Gone but not forgotten