Treharris Clubs
Treharris Legion,The John Street club ,Treharris football club and the New club( also used by Treharris RFC) are now closed also the Dog and Rabbit (now the Treharris workmen’s club) was shut down,but re opened as the Colliers Cwtch.  The DanyGraig still surviving today. The newest club is the small Rugby club erected on the reclaimed colliery site.

Treharris Rugby Club 2016

13950837_2074602472764912_744918537_o

The Old Dog and Rabbit

Above we see tokens once valid at the club

treharris_liberal_club_checks

Two photos of some of the Dog and Rabbit members

The Dog and Rabbit renamed the Colliers Cwtch 2012

????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

The Danygriag club

 

 

 

 

 

 

John Street club

Shirley and Glyn former stewards.

John Street members

More Treharris people enjoying a night out

Gerald Pritchard

The New club also known as Treharris RFC and Mozzels in a poor state

There are fading hopes that this building will again be used in the future. The Old Mozzels, maybe for wedding functions?

 

In better days a wedding at the New club Marion and Michael Tovey

 

Rugby club presentation at the club

We have no photo of Treharris Ex servicemens club but here are some members outside it inc. George Framer

 

Billy Lewis , Keith Picton, Russ Davies,John Price, Graham Blondie Lewis and Hughie Williams

 

Bedlinog drinking clubs

Bedlinog Clubs

The ones I could trace were-

British Legion club and Institute, the Square closed

Bedlinog Rugby club the square 

Constitutional Club, Pleasant View 

Workman’s Hall and Institute, Garth Terrace Looks closed

Rugby Club 2020

Bedlinog RFC 2014

???????????????????????????????

Bedlinog Constitutional club

photographs above of the Bedlinog Working mens club

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

The old Bedlinog Legion

Bedlinog_British-Legion-Club&Inst_1965

Nelson drinking clubs

There have been a number of licensed clubs in the village over the years including the former Ex Servicemen’s club on Shingrig road and the Social club behind Dynevor Terrace. Both long since closed down. The village still has four clubs open in 2014, which is quite surprising considering the fact that so many pubs and clubs have closed in south Wales over the years

Nelson Rugby club…Nelson Park 01443 450

Balfour Constitutional club, now a private club called Jacobs 17, Wern Crescent, Telephone 01443 450228

The Star Club…Shingrig road… telephone 01443 450858

Whitehall Golf club Telephone, 01443 740245

The Queen of Hearts

Probably the most famous club, known throughout the valleys, was the Queen of Hearts club, on the site of the former Electric Cinema, opposite Nelson Library. It was very popular in the 70’s and everyone from that period will remember going there. Here are some photos of the venue including the day it burned down.

queens-300x217

 

uiyt-300x196

Some of the bar ladies below far left Angela Davies next to her Linda Prosser

Below we have a photo thanks to Angela Davies from 1970’s

Staff at the club including Kerry Williams, Les Miles and Pauline Pope.

 

I think these are local land ladies on a night out at the club

The bouncers including “tiny” on the righ

 

 

Tesco advert on side of club

 

Rear of club 1980 and 2020

10381983_1026242680723703_3163042974461909321_n-200x300

Fire destroyed the queen of Hearts forever

q2-300x198 (1)

edit17-300x184

q4-300x162

q5-300x207

q6-300x202

q7-300x177

17-276x300

Nelson Rugby club late 1970’s (Photo Ian Willaims)

Nelson RFC 2000

188672_1609599482430_2799767_n

12193122_1919240818301079_714263050_o

Rugby club 2015 with extension

Balfour Constitutional Club, Nelson

The Balfour Constitutional Club, situated at 17 Wern Crescent, Nelson, was one of the village’s long-established social clubs. Although an exact opening date has proved difficult to establish, the club was certainly operating by the First World War and was already an important part of community life.

The name was almost certainly associated with Arthur Balfour, the Conservative politician and Prime Minister from 1902 to 1905. Constitutional clubs established around Britain during this period were generally associated with the Conservative and Unionist movement, although over time many developed primarily into local social and recreational clubs.

During the First World War the Balfour Club played a particularly active role in Nelson. In February 1915 it was reported that 34 members of the club were serving in the armed forces. The club organised smoking concerts and gatherings for servicemen returning on leave and kept in contact with members serving overseas and prisoners of war. Robert Williams, the club treasurer before the war, became a prisoner of war in Germany and received letters and parcels from his fellow club members in Nelson.

The club continued as an important meeting and social venue for generations of Nelson residents. A surviving photograph records members of the Balfour Club on a trip to the Blackpool Illuminations around 1953, illustrating the social outings and activities organised for members and their families.

By the 1990s the premises were still being used by local organisations; the Nelson and District Chess Club, formed in 1993, later made the Balfour Club its home.

The registered organisation, Balfour Constitutional Club, Nelson Limited, was formally removed from the register in December 2009 after the authorities recorded that the society had ceased to exist. The club building itself survived and was subsequently sold and operated as a private club under the name Jacobs/Jacabbs, with CAMRA continuing to record the Balfour Constitutional Club as its former name.

For much of the twentieth century the Balfour was therefore far more than simply a drinking club: it was a familiar social centre for Nelson, associated with wartime support, entertainment, outings, games and generations of local families.

10431338_808831369150030_7066025861750241509_o

The Balfour club in Nelson before sale

The former Balfour club renamed “Jacobs”

Whitehall Golf club

???????????????????????????????

Star Club

The original Star club

The Nelson Social club (behind Dynevor Terrace)

Site of the former social club now a private home

nelson_social_club_a

Beer Checks once valid at the Social club

1461732_997757176905587_2534447558791022202_n

 The sign on the original Social club where Barclays bank is

Trelewis Ex-Servicemans club,British legion rear of old building

There used to be a thriving Ex Servicemen’s social club in the village. It was situated on a road from General and Commercial garage that went up past the War memorial on Captains hill under two railway tunnels and out into Bontnewydd Terrace passing the club which was nestled into the cuttings. The club suffered through a drop in members and needed a lot of repairs in the early 1980’s, however the final blow came when the club burned down later that decade and was never replaced after a problem with insurance monies.

The remains of the burnt down club

img221

Some regulars at the club

Better times at the club

Regulars in the bar Tom Jones, Islwyn Carlick Brian Jones

Road and car park entrance

A Miles family wedding at the club 1973

10245319_10152095616753721_1878996810233731502_n

A once valid beer check (Robert Amos)

ex_club_check

The officers and volunteers of the British legion in the village used to organise the armistice day march to the memorial statue, close by on Captains hill. These same members were instrumental in raising funds and arranging for the Memorial statue to be moved to a new site in the village, near the Ffaldcaich Inn, in February 2002.

There is a dedicated page about the Ex Servicemen’s club at the top of the website, written by Brian Jones.

Above we see the remains of the demolished club