This Part of the site will be dedicated to showing historical photographs of places near our district. Hopefully they will be of interest and bring back memories. I have decided to limit photos from the Merthyr borough on here because Alan George has an outstanding website dedicated to the borough, although there maybe a few from Troedyrhiw down the valley.

The Caerphilly County Borough

The Rhymney and Darran valleys run Parallel to our district and at one time Trelewis and Bedlinog were in its boundaries, Nelson still is.

Groesfaen, Deri, Pentwyn and Fochriw are located in the Darran Valley, and together with the entire Rhymney valley, comes under one large authority Caerphilly County Borough.


Fochriw 1829


foc 62

Fochriw station 1962


Fochriw station remains 1973


Cwmbargoed with the disuseed line to Dowlais still there

Deri Village

Maesycwmmer Station



Hengoed High level station on top of viaduct

hv 1972

Hengoed station 1972 Viaduct above and below


Maesycwmmer/Hengoed viaduct


Royal Oak Ystrad Mynach

the Oak

Cross Gelligaer

Gelligaer church


Britannia Colliery


Pontllanfraith Station ?

EPSON scanner image


Below we see Caerphilly miners hospital 1968 and weeks before it closed in 2011

The hospital was established in a private house known as “The Beeches” which was acquired from Frederick Piggott, a mining contractor, it was commissioned to provide healthcare to the miners who worked in the local pits, and their families. The hospital received its first patient on 2 July 1923. In the 1940s the hospital broadened its services to the whole community rather than just miners and their families. In 1945 the Hospital Board acquired Red brook House, another large property, and converted it into a nurses’ home. The hospital joined the NHS in 1948.

After services transferred to Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr in Ystrad Mynach. Caerphilly District Miners Hospital closed in November 2011. The site was subsequently redeveloped for housing and the main hospital building converted into a community centre.

Bargoed Railway Station 1965


Bargoed station


Bargoed Square

bargoed square

Bargoed square 1970’s


Bargoed Cameo Cinema

Hanbury Bargoed

Bargoed Square date unknown

Glamorgan, Bargoed, an old photo of Bargoed Colliery

Bargoed colliery


Bargoed Viaduct

EPSON scanner image

Brithdir Station


Aberbargoed hill


Darren and Deri Railway station

Glamorganshire, Hengoed, Girls School

Lewis Girls School Ystrad Mynach

Monmouthshire, Pengam, County School

Lewis School Pengam 1928


Penallta Colliery Washeries Date unknown

Markham Colliery 1986

Cynon and Pontypridd Areas

abercynon pit 1986

Abercynon Colliery 1986


Abercynon Colliery 1988




Cilfynydd Common 1970’s


Travellers rest Abercynon

Abercynon following 1913 Tornado

Mountain Ash station

Phurnacite Plant Abercwmboi

Pontypridd old bridge


Ponty old bridge and chapel

Pontypridd Bridge older picture



Ponty bridge 1953

53297_2 1972

1972 Brown Lennox Ponty and the newish A 470


Pontypridd White palace cinema now demolished


Pontypridd station square 1990

half moon

Half moon approx 1990


Pontypridd where the new police station is.

New Picture (20)

A now demolished row of Pontypridd’s Mill street

Below are from 1964 building the Taff Vale Precinct Pontypridd





Precinct in 1968 above

New Picture (13)

New Picture

July 2011 Demolition of Pontypridd Precinct

Storm Dennis Pontypridd 2020

Longest Island Platform in UK Pontypridd

Ponty town centre

The Viaduct at Taffs Well


Removing Taffs Well viaduct 1970’s

Merthyr Vale Colliery and tips 1966



The square Mertyr Vale

A busy Aberfan donated by B Murphy

Aberfan in 1966 following the Terrible disaster

mv 1979

Train leaving Merthyr Vale towards Quakers Yard

Merthyr Vale level crossing 1970’s

Merthyr Vale Colliery

New Picture (12)

Merthyr Vales pit site cleared

Opposite Darren Las Merthyr Vale building A470

Castle Colliery Troedyrhiw


Plymouth Colliery Troedyrhiw below

1979 Merthyr Tydfil station, now a Tesco store

Gelligaer Roman Buriel site

Cwmparc Colliery The Rhondda

Cardiff Bay 1998