Nelson Square 1955,Dai ‘Snowball’ Williams is sitting second from the left on the bench. He lived in lived in 45 Commercial Street in one of the cottages next to the Cosy Cinema, which were demolished to build the new library.(Photo courtesy of Bob Evans formerly of the prefabs)
What follows are pictures people have sent to me to add to the site, they are meant to be a reminder of the village to all that view them.
They are in no particular order, just random.However the older photos are at the bottom of this page.
Please visit we love Nelson on Facebook to see more images.
Before the centre of the village was altered in 2005, Robert Amos of High Close, Nelson,took some photographs of the area we knew as the flower gardens. He also captured the old bus station. Here are his photographs.
Old photograph of Nelson Post office courtesy of Jeremy Swattridge
Fire at Ashgrove 1969
The flower gardens when first opened
The bus stops 1950’s
Nelson Police station
Milestone in High Street Nelson
The following are photographs by Jeremy Swattridge who kindly has allowed me to add them to this website mostly taken between 1988 -95.He has a great collection of photos that he took during that time mostly in black and white.
Nelson Square 1989
Nelson Square again
Looking towards Rugby club hill
Bryncelyn/high street Junction
The housing estate
Looking down towards Nelson
Former Infants School
Above we see the old entrance to the school on the High Street, its now the entrance to High Close.
Nelson bus stops
Adcocks once a majoy employer in the village
Nelson Fish bar
Darlington Options ,Nelson
Elaine s hairdresser
Dynevor Arms 1989
The bus station
Hunt on the High Street
Outside Dynevor Arms
Bobs Fruit and Veg
The Hunt 2004
The Hunt 2006
Looking down Commercial street
Nelson in the Snow 1982 by Joyce Bolton
Pebbles and mate
Alan bare chest Barrett
Garage Dynevor Terrace 1982
The Garage opposite Dynevor Terrace 2005,now demolished
The old Garage site 2014
The tunnel and pond near the Llanfabon Inn
Llanfabon Church and Inn by Robert Walters
Car smashes into home on the Laing estate January 2013
The former Nelson Welfare ground…opposite Trafalgar Park (R Amos)
A 1999 view looking towards the Co operative, Nelson (R Amos)
The Former Portlock fruit and Vegetable cabin near the Balfour
The Portlock storage behind the Balfour club.
Rear of the Portlock store 2004
A relatively new collection of photographs of Nelson kindly taken for this site by Roger Vowles of Treharris. March 17th 2010
some views of Bryncelyn and the new housing estate next to it taken from the road between the Greyhound and the Tylers arms(mountain road.)
Three images above looking towards Greenacres and the street above the Tylers arms.
Green Acres from Nelson RFC Autumn 2015
Nelson looking Towards the new houses and to the left Penallta pit
Bwl Road junction
Nelson 1976 with a red and white Bedlinog bus
Bwl road 1920
Bwl Road 1983
Bwl road 2013
Commercial Street 2013
This is the bottom of Heol Fawr, opposite the Chinese (Kung fu)
Taken in the early 1970’s this is a photo of houses opposite the new library…they are being prepared for demolition…below is another angle of the same row of houses at the top of Commercial Street.
Ashgrove Villas, Nelson.
The picture above is taken in 1957, it shows the old railway track filled in with earth, the big building in the background is the Balfour club.
Tai Machine house, now demolished, it was once opposite Co-op supermarket on Maben road( where the Tyre and Exhaust company are now)
Wellington Inn at the bottom of the High Street…now Wellington Stores.
1960’s photograph building the Electric power station Llanfabon
Llanfabon power Station 2012
The picture above is a picture of the Penallta sidings on the main line between Nelson and Ystrad Mynach…know as Nelson Bog to many locals…
The Pre fabs…build in the 1940’s as temporary homes, they lasted for over 20 years…some of the street names that people will remember include…Heol Bryn Fab, Heol Pant y Celyn, Heol Mabon, Heol Tasker and Heol Islwyn…number one Heol Islwyn is pictured below, the lady in the photograph is Mrs Tovey (pic Michael Tovey)
The old Prefabs, behind Bryncelyn (R Amos)
Once the Prefabs had been demolished
Views of Bryncelyn once the Prefabs had gone
The old cottages next to the Handball court
Photos thanks to Ann Hill Nelson
The old cottages looking sad
The Corner Fish Shop
Morris Butchers Shop Commercial Street
Tom Davies Iron monger
Picture with Nelson Fish Bar, Tommy Davies’ shop, Jones the butcher and the shop run by the Pakistani or indian family By Jeremy Swattridge
Fruit and Flower shop
W Hopkins shop on Commercial Street
Caerphilly road 1990’s
Caerphilly road 2012
Top of Commercial street
Two old photos Commercial street
Looking down Nelson from Heol Fawr
Nelson 1990’s no cash point
Historic old houses in the High Street, demolished and replaced by modern homes…see below (R.Amos)
A mucky day looking up Long Row 1999 (R Amos)
Former pub called the Farmers Arms Llanfabon
Church at Llanfabon
The Three arches in 1909
The Three Arches approx.1960
Below we see some photographs of the area near the Railway Inn on Mabon Road, They were taken in 1969 when the old railway was removed to improve the road and take out the bend.Thanks to Dino Spinetti for the photographs
approaching the Railway pub
The old air raid Shelter near the Fiddlers Elbow
Another view near the Railway pub, the old arches
The Same area below 2012
Photos by Robert Walters of the area near the Railway