The following images relate to the village of Edwardsville and surrounding areas including Ponygwaith. The Older pictures appear first, followed by more modern ones.
The Terrible Tornado of October,1913
(pictures courtesy of Roger Vowles, Treharris)
Three people were killed, amongst the three fatalities was local celebrity C Woolford, the right-back and captain of the Ton Pentre football club.Houses and a chapel were wrecked and over a hundred people injured when a force 6 Tornado struck Edwardsville, on Monday the 27th of October 1913.
Below we see a very important image, Adrian Evans kindly donated this post card picture to the site, It is dated back to 1908( as you can see from the original stamp on the back of the card pictured below.
The image clearly shows the double track that used to be on that side of the river, it is now covered by the A 470. Big thanks to Adrian for sharing this, a post card of this quality can cost £20 and we can all now have the pleasure of seeing part of our history.
Postcard Stamped Merthyr Vale Aug 08
King Edward 7th on a Half penny stamp
The following collection of photographs are all taken from the mountain opposite Edwardsville, they are all courtesy of Adrian Evans.
The old canal bank below the “Gap” once a very important form of transportation for Merthyr Tydfil and Cardiff
A view of Quakers Yard station and the old truent school
This old bridge used to go over the Merthyr to Cardiff canal, it is located near Pontygaith and some date it back to 1740
Looking up the valley from Edwardsville
Aerial View of the village
The avenue free from cars
Leaving Edwardsville 1980’s
Above we see the old waterworks site at the start of Edwardsville 2015
and below we can see the new houses being built in 2019
Edwardsville quarry in the distance
Above are 2 pictures of the bridge that went under the railway and led to Buarth Glas Terrace, Pontygwaith with was demolished to allow the A 470 to be built…see Alan George Merthyr Photographs website for more pictures
Buarth Glas Terrace
The Gap or Giants Tooth
Inside or behind the “gap” (A Evans)
Three more pics above near the gap in 2011 during the winter
Above we see two Jason Jones photos of the Gap from different angles
Across the valley and in the right of the picture the site of the old Truant school now a housing estate.
Work beginning early 1980’s
Again we see the site of the truant school now Housing development
The next pictures are of the remains of the Viaducts that led to the Tunnel, we also have a photograph of the tunnel that went through the mountain to Abercynon from Edwardsville.
Cefn Glas Tunnel
The old Quakers Yard to Merthyr Viaduct
The old Pontypool to Neath viaduct Edwardsville
The old Terrace which was demolished
Above we see an old road bridge near Pontygwaith (Adrian Evans)
The Pontygwaith Bridge
Just North of Edwardsville we find the Pontygwaith bridge, there used to be a very small village nearby. The bridge was built at least 200 years ago,built 1811 to replace a wooden bridge
A Sussex Iron master named Anthony Morley set up a small ironworks here in 1583..It is commonly believed that it was later destroyed by Roundhead soldiers.
Below Two Photographs of the famous bridge at Pontygwaith.1990
The path that leads from the bridge now leads to an underpass of the A 470 duel carriageway (A Evans)
Finally some photographs I took since 2012
Birch grove Cemetery
Above we see a new housing estate on the site of the old railway lines on the entrance to Edwardsville next to the cemetery