Above Almost the same area of the original Llancaiach station 1978 (Courtesy of Robert Amos)
This station was originally opened in 1858 by the Newport, Abergaveny and Hereford Railway Company.
This was the original station in Nelson. It was not very big and boasted a small booking office. It was based near the old Llancaiach colliery and access from the village of Nelson was from the area where the Handball court is now at the end of Station Terrace. It was in use for over 40 years and was finally replaced by a new modern station by 1912.
Nelson and Llancaiach Station 1912-64
The new station was positioned about a quarter of a mile closer to Trelewis in a much wider area
The station at Nelson and Llancaiach was a great improvement on the old Llancaiach station, another access road was built to reach it and the facilities were greatly improved. Great Western owned the station and they spent a lot of money in its construction. It consisted of three platforms, and a goods yard. A Footbridge was constructed across the top of the station and this also give access to a footpath to Llancaiach; the station buildings were made from red brick and both passengers and freight dealers benefited greatly from the new station.
Passengers could get trains to Neath, Pontypool, Cardiff, Dowlais, Aberdare and all stations along those routes. Lots of freight passed through including coal and cattle and the large goods yard provided local traders with goods from all parts of the UK.
Below we will see a collection of photographs kindly donated by Adrian Evans, gathered from friends.All depicting the Nelson/Llancaiach station from years gone by.
Date opened: 1.July 1912
Location: On the north side of Tawelfan
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 15.June.1964
Date closed completely: 15.June.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (Western Region)
Extant County: Glamorganshire OS
The station replaced LLancaich which was 15 chains to the north west. The line is still open for freight. These photographs were taken in May 1973. Since then things have changed and there is a cycle path running alongside the track. The bottom photograph was taken March 6 ,2009, Still signs of a station platform but far less open.
These photographs were taken by Nick Catford and he kindly allowed permission for their use on this website, he has taken hundreds of fantastic photographs of by gone Railway stations. See his excellent work at www.subbrit.org.uk
1972 Remains of the station looking North towards Trelewis
1972 Remains of the station looking south towards Ystrad Mynach
Platform still there
Haulage train heading towards Trelewis
Above is where the Nelson and Llancaiach station once was taken 2009
2005 and still remains of the cattle pens next to the station
Nelson Station Below the Dynevor Arms
1920 Looking north east towards the road bridge on Commercial Street, the East parapet of which is still to be seen.
This line, the Llancaiach branch of the TVR, dates from 1841 although the station itself dates from 1900. This line was the means of transporting coal from the Llancaiach, Tophill & Gelligaer collieries which had previously done so via the Llanfabon Tramway on a limited output. Line closed 1930’s.
This site now lies beneath the small bus station (at about the level of the roof).
The photograph below is a very special edition and contains an original train ticket for the trip from Nelson to Pontypridd( courtesy of Robert Amos)
This is a view of the station that used to be where the bus station in Nelson now stands. It was left like this for many years before it was finally filled in…this view is taken from the Cenotaph looking towards Dynevor Terrace in 1936
This photograph shows the tracks that lead from the old station by Dynevor Terrace to the main Llancaiach/Nelson station.
Above was taken near the Railway Pub in Nelson,it shows the remains of the base of the track that once came into the village to Nelson station