POI Quakers Yard

Tram road Toll House
The Merthyr to Abercynon Tram road passed through Quakers Yard. Victoria bridge(1802) was built to take the road across the Taff near Treharris.

There was a Toll-house situated besides the Tram road where the Pen locks road crosses the Tram road.

toll_house
The Darren Short Cut                              

These days, everyone takes for granted, the short cut between Thornwood Place and Quakers Yard, but it was not always that way.

Firstly there was a trail through the woods but a proper foot path was finally put in place

A surveyors report from 1892 said “With regard to the pathway from Thornwood place to Quakers Yard, it is recommended that the landlords be contacted to hand over and dedicate the pathway to the public and allow the Bridges and roads committee to fence the same.”

Later in January 1893 it was reported by the Merthyr Express that Mr Edwards of Pantannas farm had now agreed to give the land to widen and improve the path.

Mr Lewis stated that 8 or 9 years ago he had spent £9 on the path, but it was insufficient and a further £7. 10 shillings was collected by the treasurer. Mr Lewis advised that the money should be collected.

The pathway was then repaired, upgraded fenced and ready to use. It is still used Today some 116 years later.

Two Pictures of the Darren path
dARREN_SHORTCUT
Looking up from the village
Thorn_darren
Looking down from Treharris
Quakers Burial ground
QY_BURIAL
This historic Burial ground was gifted to the Quakers by Mary Chapman. It can be found in the middle of the village near the River
plaque_in_Quakers_burial_ground
quakers_grave_yard
Burial ground and wall Plaque
burial_stones_QY
Burial ground stones Quakers yard

 

5 comments